What kind of beast is such an “essay” and how to fight it? Of course, it is best to tame him. We propose to put everything on shelves together here and now and figure out how to write an essay. Often, successfully written essay can open up a lot of opportunities on the way to the realization of ourselves, and at the same time the realization of our cherished desires and goals.
What is an essay in English
An essay in English is a kind of creative work that has an arbitrary composition and reveals the author’s opinion on a particular social, cultural or historical problem. This is not an essay in English, an article, an essay or any other work of a creative genre. Essay proudly occupies a separate hole in the world of journalism. Let’s compare it with an article, an essay on the English language and an abstract. To better understand what an essay is and why it cannot be called an article, abstract, etc.
The essay is very similar to the essay-essay, however, the main difference between these genres in the purpose of writing an essay is that an essay in English always has a conclusion, and an essay only encourages the reader to think and make his own. In the essay, the author only reasons, raises relevant topics, but does not make a final conclusion, unlike the essay. The article is really very similar to an essay, because there is no definite structure, there is a topical subject. However, the article is a work of journalism, as opposed to an essay. It is this factor that makes the article the one and only in the world of the journalistic genre. And so that you do not have the slightest desire to compare the essay with the essay, let’s look at the last differences. First of all, the abstract is more in volume – about 5 pages, while the essay usually takes 1.5 – 2 pages. Also, in the essay, the story is on behalf of the author, and the abstract is a report on a clearly defined topic.
However, these are not all moments where an essay may be useful. It is no secret that writing an essay develops the imagination, helps develop analytical thinking skills.
Conclusion: if you want to develop – write an essay. It occupies an extremely important role at school, at university and even at work. It is very important to learn to understand how to write an essay in English correctly, so that since school years we can confidently go to success.
Types of essay
There are 3 types of essays in English:
- For & Against Essays (Pros and Cons).
- Points to consider (“Problem and solution”).
- Opinion Essays (“Minority Report”).
For & Against Essays
Essay “Pros and Cons” – in this type of essay, the main task is to consider two existing points of view. It is important to objectively evaluate both positions and express our understanding of each of the parties.
1) Introduction (here it is important to characterize the topic that will be discussed without expressing your own opinion).
2) The main part (here it is important to express your opinion about the problem, provide examples and evidence).
3) Conclusion (in this section, you summarize and summarize all of the above. Remember that in this type of essay you should not draw a specific conclusion, you can only distribute all arguments into two cups weighing all the arguments).
Important! Words I think, I believe, In my opinion, etc. can be used only in the conclusion, where you express your position.
“Minority Opinion” – in this type of essay it is important to express one’s position on a particular problem. It is important to give examples, arguments in favor of your opinion, and also to express your position quite transparently.
1) Introduction (here it is important to indicate the question to be considered, as well as your position regarding it).
2) The main part (it is important to indicate the opinions opposite to yours, to explain why they have the right to exist, and also to provide arguments for your opinion).
3) Conclusion (in this section, you once again express your point of view in other words).
Points to consider essays
The essay “Problem and solutions” is written in a formal style. It is important to put the problem, then consider ways to solve it.
1) Introduction (here you are reporting a problem).
2) The main part (it is important to show possible solutions to the problem and its consequences).
3) Conclusion (in this section, you express your own opinion about solving the problem).
Rules for writing an essay in English
Stick to the structure. Do not forget to use the draft. Make yourself notes, outline a plan for writing an essay in English, sketch a list of all the arguments before starting to write. It is important to be fully prepared and be prepared for any topic.
It is best to prepare for writing an English essay in advance, and write them the more, the better. Thus, whatever topic you get, you can develop it on the basis of the knowledge and experience that you received during the training.
The essay may be perfect in content, however, if it contains grammatical errors, everything is lost. Be sure to remember to check your work after writing. It is advisable to do it twice. First, from the very beginning to the end, and then in reverse order to read the whole work. The work should be read in reverse order to identify errors in words.
Be sure to follow the style of one of the three types of essay throughout the work. In the essay it is important to observe specifics, but should not make it too short. Most often, an essay consists of 180-320 words, depending on the purpose of writing. Do not forget about linking words. They show the literacy of the author. Use quotes that confirm this or that opinion.
We can conclude that the essay is not as scary as it may seem at first glance. The main thing is preparation. Even after reading just this article, you already have enough information to understand how to write an essay in English. Things are easy – practice. Write as many essays as you can, be inspired to write an English essay on a topic unfamiliar to you, whether it be animal rescue or world art trends.